Omaha Heritage & Culturefest Center
Founded March 30, 2002
OCF Home | http://www.omahaculturefest.org/americas/usa/midwest/omaha/omahaczech.html |
Vítáme Vás! - We Welcome You!
Omaha Czech Cultural Club
The Omaha Czech Cultural Club is a non-profit organization established in 1959 to promote appreciation, awareness, and understanding of Czech and Slovak culture, history, current events, language, literature, music, drama, and art.
To advance these purposes, the Omaha Czech Cultural Club:
- provides lectures and discussions through which members and others may exchange information and opinions about Czech/Slovak culture and Society in Europe and America.
- encourages the study and use of the Czech language in the United States.
- sponsors the public performance of Czech and Slovak music, drama, art, publications, folk arts, and the showing and sale of Czech and Slovak artifacts.
- helps preserve manuscripts, publications, and artifacts from Czech-American culture in Nebraska in order to facilitate the present and future study of this culture and its history.
- works with other Czech-American organizations to promote fellowship among all those with a Czech and Slovak interest.
Our Logo - The Charles Bridge (Karlûv most)
Our logo is the Charles Bridge, which spans the Vltava River in Praha. This bridge connecting the Olde Town of Prague with the Malá Strana symbolizes the link between Czech, Slovak, and American cultures, and our desire to maintain close ties with our heritage in the Czech and Slovak Repulics.
Monthly luncheons and progams are held the second Sunday of each month from September through May at South Omaha Sokol, 2021 "U" St. Included are:
- Presentations on Czech/Slovak culture, music, art, history, travel, and current events by local and national experts and European visitors.
- Annual spring Czech Festival in April at Sokol Auditorium, 13th & Martha Sts.
- Excursions to Czech Museums, music festivals, places of Czech history and culture.
- Annual late summer "Piknik."
- Annual Christmas Party with Czech/Slovak traditions, Christmas music, carols and fun.
- Sponsorship of Czech language classes with South Omaha Sokol.
- Sponsorship of a Czech queen who represents our club at the Nebraska Czech Queen Pagent and other statewide Czech activities.
- Czech films with English subtitles, videos, slides, and travel films.
- Participation in Ethnic Night at the Durham Western Heritage Museum.
Omaha Czech Culture Club Membership
Please consider joining us on the second Sunday afternoon of each month, September through May, to share in learning about and enjoying Czech, Slovak, and Czech-American cultures. Just complete and mail the attached member form along with your dues payment, and we'll send you a Newsletter giving notice of the date, time, and place of our next gathering.
Nebraska Czechs, Inc.
The Omaha Czech Cultural Club elects delegates who represent our club at the Nebraska Czechs, Inc. activities and also serve on our board of directors.
Nebraska and Midwestern Czech/Slovak Links
2008 Nebrask Czech Fesitivals
April 23, 2006
National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library - Cedar Rapids, IA
European Czech/Slovak Links
Prague Castle (Prazský hrad)
Modified: May 11, 2008
Created: April 5, 2008
Contact OCF webmaster